Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review: The Heart of a Hero by Janet Chapman


Originally from the ancient mythical island of Atlantis, Nicholas has spent the last year deep in the mountains of Maine, serving as Director of Security for the Nova Mare and Inglenook resorts. Fully embracing his life in the twenty-first century, he finds himself irresistibly drawn to a trouble-prone employee, and is determined to keep her safe.

The last thing Julia Campbell needs is a man with a hero complex, especially one as handsome and imposing as Nicholas. All she has to do is keep it together until her younger sister turns eighteen, and then she can focus on her own life. But strange things have been happening at the resort—and it’s Nicholas who keeps coming to her rescue. When Nicholas is suddenly the one in trouble, Julia realizes he’s not quite what he seems—and that she’ll do anything to help the man who’s stolen her heart…



My Review:

I was still in a book coma from my last read, and needed something lighter and something I knew I’d enjoy. So I pulled out the newest from Janet Chapman, they are mainstream romance that are on the sweet with a just a hint of sexy. 

We met Nicholas in the last book, and I loved him as the gruff but fun bodyguard to Carolina “Lina” Oceanus. He was mildly in love with the princess and we already had a glimpse of the great hero he would make to his soul mate when he met her. 

Julia Campbell works at Nova Mare and adds her own brand of style to the resort cabins, she is struggling with small town life and the vicious gossips spurred on by her past relationship. Her father is the town drunk and she’s just trying to survive and protect her siblings, she doesn’t have time for a hero. I loved and hated how independent Julia is, I love strong heroines and she had that in spades. I found myself telling her to just give in and fall in love already; I just couldn’t see how she could resist Nicholas. 

Nicholas was persistent and fought for their love, and that made me love him more. Overall, he was a little less “old-fashioned” then most of the other heroes in this series and the connecting series by Ms. Chapman, that was refreshing, though I do read and enjoy these stories knowing I’m going to find that level of masculinity with the heroes. The animal secondary characters add just that extra amount of charm that I’ve come to expect from Ms. Chapman,  and I would love to spend the weekend in Maine with all of her characters. 

I loved this book and recommend it to all of my friends, in fact just buy the whole Spellbound Falls series, and maybe her whole backlist while you’re at it. The magic, love and quaint setting of small town Maine is great for light-hearted enjoyable romance any day of the week. 

                                                                 4.5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment